Medical University of Lublin

History

Historical facts and important dates about Medical University of Lublin Faculty of Medicine, Pharmacy and Nursing

 

  • September 1, 1944 – an appeal placed by Professor Henryk Raabe in “Rzeczpospolita” newspaper for registration of academic teachers. 48 people registered by November 1, 1944 including: Ludwik Hirszfeld, Witold Chodźko, Jan Henryk Lubieniecki, Feliks Skubiszewski, Mieczysław Biernacki, Jerzy Morzycki, Mieczysław Stelmasiak, Kazimierz Kalinowski
  • September 5, 1944 – Mieczysław Stelmasiak, MD at the request of Henryk Raabe, presented the project on organizational design of the Faculty of Medicine, chairs and departments and curriculum
  • September 18, 1944 – Professor Raabe appeal for organizational structures of Academy of Medicine and Life Sciences
  • October 23, 1944 – PKWN decree on the establishment of Maria Skłodowska-Curie University with Faculty of Medicine
  • October 24, 1944 – the organizational meeting of the Board of Faculty of Medicine, the first Dean (Prof. Jan H. Lubieniecki) and Vice Dean (Edward Grzegorzewski, PhD) were elected through a secret ballot voting
  • October 26, 1944 – the first solemn meeting of professors and assistants of UMCS, so called session on barrels, at the hall of Staszica High Scool at Racławickie 20 Street, establishment of Faculty Boards
  • October 27, 1944 – second session Board of Faculty of Medicine – establishment of recruitment procedures and organizational structures of chairs and departments
  • November 1, 1944 – nominations for the first professors, including 3 professors for Faculty of Medicine: Jan Henryk Lubieniecki, Jakub Węgierka, Felik Skubiszewski
  • November 2, 1944 – letter of Rector Henryk Raabe to the contemporary director of Saint Wincenty a Paulo hospital on establishment of Chair and Department of Surgery on the grounds of a clinic
  • November 4, 1944 – the possibility of establishment of Faculty of Pharmacy publicly announced during Board of Faculty of Medicne. It was possible due to enormous efforts of Witold Grzegorz Łobarzewski, PharmD – first Head of Lublin District Pharmaceutical Chamber
  • November 22, 1944 – entrance exam at the Faculty of Medicine of UMCS (460 candidates for 200 available places)
  • November 24, 1944 – establishment of Chair of Military Medicine (at the order of commander-in-chief of Polish Army)
  • November 1944 – first classes for 1st and 2nd year students: Histology – deputy professor Stanisław Grzycki MD, PhD; Anatomy – deputy professor Mieczysław Stelmasiak MD, PhD
  • January 3, 1945 at 7 a.m. – the first lecture for 3rd and 4th year students of Faculty of Medicine given by deputy professor Tadeusz Kielanowski MD, PhD – beginning of lectures and labs at the Faculty of Medicine
  • January 9, 1945 – establishment of 5th faculty at UMCS – Faculty of Pharmacy. It was the second Faculty of Pharmacy in Poland (after the establishment of Faculty of Pharmacy in Warsaw in 1926), being the 6th pharmaceutical didactic and scientific centre
  • January 9, 1945 – solemn oath for students of all faculties of UMCS
  • January 11, 1945 – the first session of the Board of the Faculty of Pharmacy and election of the first Dean – prof. K. Kalinowski
  • January 14, 1945 – solemn inauguration for the 1st year students at the hall of Staszic High School in Lublin
  • January 1945 – the Faculty of Medicine acquired the right to confer the title of doctor of medicine and the title of doctor habilitatus
  • February 10, 1945 – establishment of Chair and Department of Skin and Venereal diseases at the seat of District Military Hospital, transferred on October 1945 to Saint Joseph hospital at Radziwiłowksa 11 (13 today) where it has been located until today
  • October 31, 1945 – overtake of an old Jewish school (Jeszybot) at Lubartowska Street (groundfloor and the first floor adjusted for the Faculty of Medicine)
  • May 10, 1946 – establishment of classes (1949 the name changed to Annales Universitatis Mariae Curie-Skłodowska, sectio D, Medicina)
  • May 25, 1946 – changing the Chair of Military Medicine into Faculty of Military Medicine
  • July 31, 1946 – changing the organizational structure of Faculty of Military Medicine (result of employees of the Chair joining the strike of UMCS employees within the period before people’s referendum in 1946)
  • June 1947 – establishment of Chair of Dentistry (Pl. Litewski 5, UMCS Rector’s Office)
  • October 4, 1949 – first graduates of Faculty of Medicine of UMCS
  • October 24, 1949 – Ordinance of the Council of Ministers on establishment of Medical Academies in Poland
  • January 1, 1950 – Faculty of Medicine (together with the Faculty of Pharmacy) became a part of newly founded Medical Academy, since March 23 1950 Medical Academy of Lublin
  • February 4, 1950 – the first solemn MA thesis defense at the Faculty of Pharmacy, presentation of 24 diplomas
  • 1950 – establishment of Rector’s Office and Administration Office of Medical Academy of Lublin in the former building of Medical Chamber at Cicha 6 Street, establishment of Senate of Medical Academy of Lublin
  • 1950 – termination of construction of modern Department of Dentistry in the ruins of a former Scales Factory at Lubartowska 56 Street – October 1, 1952 establishment of Military Academy of Medical Academy of Lublin (at the order of Ministry of Defense) at Cicha 6 Street, since 1954 located at Pstrowskiego 12 Street
  • 1953 – establishment of Academy of Physical Education
  • 1954 – acquisition of building at Chmielna 1 Street for the use of Chair of Ophthalmology
  • 1956 – establishment of Department of Foreign Languages
  • 1956 – establishment of Department of Infectious Diseases (based on the grounds of the Ward in the local hospital at Biernackiego 5 Street)
  • 1955/1956 – reform of medical studies – 6 year program
  • 1958 – reform of pharmaceutical studies – 5 year program, pharmacy, the obligation of MA thesis
  • November 11, 1959 – establishment of publication of the Cronicle of the Medical Academy of Lublin
  • September 15, 1962 – the right to confer the degree of doctor in pharmaceutical sciences
  • 1962 – the first competition in Poland of MA thesis at the Faculty of Pharmacy
  • October 2, 1963 – new building – Collegium Medicum – at Dymitrowa 9 Street put into use (today Radziwiłłowska Street)
  • July 1964 – new patients are seen for the first time at the PSK 4 building
  • October 2, 1967 – new building Collegium Pathologicum at Jaczewskiego 8 Street put into use
  • 1968 – 1977 – construction of dormitories (1968 – DS I ), (1969 – DS II), (1970 – DS III), (1977 – DS IV)
  • 1968 – another reform of pharmacy: new courses are introduced – pharmaceutical analysis and clinical analysis
  • June 25, 1969 – establishment of the Nursing College at the Medical Academy of Lublin with a 3-year program and election of the first head of the center (Assistant Professor Marian Klamut)
  • September 15-17, 1969 – the first entrance exam to the Faculty of Nursing (60 people admitted, 323 people taking the exam, 90 people passed)
  • October 4, 1969 – solemn inauguration of the academic year at the Nursing College
  • 1969 – establishment of Center for doctoral studies
  • 1971 – establishment of Hemodialysis Center at the Department of Nephrology at PSK 4 – the first artificial kidney (May 1, 1971 the first hemodialysis)
  • February 1, 1972 – establishment of (on the grounds of PSK 4) Independent Unit of Heart and Vessel Roentgen Diagnostics
  • May 3, 1972 – opening of the Department of Lung Diseases
  • July 19, 1972 – establishment of the Faculty of Nursing at the Medical Academy of Lublin with a 4-year program (founded from the Nursing College) – the first in the history of Poland and Europe Nursing Department – the 3rd Department at the Medical Academy of Lublin on October 1, 1972 – solemn inauguration of the first academic year of 240 students
  • May 15, 1973 – establishment of Department of Dentistry
  • November 16, 1973 – the first solemn MA thesis defense at the Faculty of Nursing – presentation of 54 diplomas
  • June 19, 1974 – the first artificial lung-heart in the Lublin region, gift from FSC (truck factory) to the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery
  • July 1975 – establishment Faculty of Nursing with part time studies
  • November 29, 1976 – solemn opening of Institute of Dentistry at Kliniczna Street (today Karmelicka Street); the Institute was founded on September 18, 1974
  • May 22, 1975 – the first three honoris causa degrees conferred by Medical Academy of Lublin
  • 1978 – the first graduates of the Department of Dentistry (51 students)
  • November 27, 1979 – the Faculty of Pharmacy acquired the right to confer the degree of doctor in pharmaceutical sciences
  • 1979 – new building of Department of Ophthalmology at Chmielna 1 Street put into use
  • November 15, 1980 at 00:12 p.m. – beginning of an occupational strike of students of Medical Academy of Lublin, 1000 people take part
  • December 13, 1981 – introduction of the state of war. Medical Academy of Lublin was governed by a military commissioner, like every institution at that time. Medical Academy of Lublin was closed for a short period of time. Many employees were recruited by the intelligence.
  • May 1982 – a building of PSK 4 Polyclinic put into use
  • October 6, 1982 – opening of ward „C” PSK 4 – Rehabilitation Ward
  • April 7, 1986 – opening of ward „B” PSK 4 – Department of Neurosurgery and Rehabilitation
  • December 9, 1986 – opening (on the grounds of PSK 4) Computed Tomography Laboratory
  • Academic year 1987/1988 – introduction of training courses for electroradiologists and physiotherapist at the Faculty of Nursing with part time studies
  • November 1989 – suspension of military training (decision of military authorities)
  • October 2, 1990 – Physical Education facility put into use at Chodźki 15 Street
  • October 1991 – establishment of Alma Mater periodical
  • April 29, 1993 – free of charge facilitation of a former PZPR Committee building at Aleje Racławickie 1 Street for 10 years (City Council Resolution in Lublin; notary act on its use completed on March 2, 1944); since 2010 – the property of the University – today Collegium Novum
  • March 29, 1994 – Association of Graduates and Friends of Medical Academy of Lublin, registered on April 22, 1994, election of the first Board of the Association
  • August 26, 1994 – the first in Lublin kidney transplant at the Department of General Surgery at PSK 4
  • 1995 – new specialization: midwifery at the Faculty of Nursing
  • April 1997 – the first issue of a magazine of the Medical Academy of Lublin „Problemy Nauki, Dydaktyki I Lecznictwa”
  • June 27, 1997 – solemn opening of Children’s Clinical Hospital (DSK) at Chodźki 2 Street
  • 1997 – take-over of a pharmacy magazine “Mémoires Pharmaceutiques” the only one from abroad, issued for over a quarter century in France, by Faculty of Pharmacy
  • October 26, 1999 – the first allogeneous transplantation of bone marrow  at the Department of Haematooncology – the third operation of such kind after Poznań and Wrocław
  • September 27, 2000 – opening of a new building of the Medical Academy of Lublin Library at Szkolna 18 Street
  • 2000 – implementation of a new training system for nurses and midwives – 3 year( Licentiate studies) and 2 year (Master’s studies)
  • November 15, 2000 – change of the name of Faculty of Nursing with part time studies to Faculty of Nursing and Health Sciences with part time studies
  • June 21, 2001 – Children’s Clinical Hospital gets its name after professor Antoni Gębala
  • September 2001 – a new facility complex at Chodźki Street 8 put into use to the Department of Toxicology
  • November7,  2001 – formation of English Language Division (August 22, 1995 signature of agreement on education with Hope Medical Institute, Virginia, USA)
  • January 15, 2003 – opening the first in Poland multilevel tomography device at SPSK 4
  • April 4, 2003 – the University gets its name after professor Feliks Skubiszewski (December 4, 2002 Regulation on giving the name of Professor Feliks Skubiszewski to the Medical Academy of Lublin)
  • October 2, 2003 – opening of  Collegium Universum at Chodźki 1 Street
  • November 28, 2003 – formation of helicopter landing zone at the territory of DSK and SPSK 4
  • April 15, 2004 – A festive embedding of the erection act of Department of Theoretical Sciences of the Medical Academy of Lublin
  • 2004 – formation of II Faculty of Medicine
  • 2004/2005 – introduction of new courses: nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy, public health and specializations on: public health, emergency medicine, clinical nutrition, principles on nourishing
  • 2005 – the Faculty of Nursing gains the right to confer the degree of PhD in the field of medicine
  • March 22, 2008 – resolution from January 23, 2008 on giving the name of Professor Feliks Skubiszewski to the Medical Academy of Lublin came into force
  • April 17, 2008 – A festive embedding of the erection act of COLLEGIUM PHARMACEUTICUM
  • 2010 – the Faculty of Nursing gains the right to confer the degree of PhD in the field of Health Sciences
  • October 3, 2011 – opening of COLLEGIUM PHARMACEUTICUM at. Chodźki 4A Street
  • 2012 – the first publication of Current Issues in Pharmacy and Medical Sciences (Formarly Annales UMCS Sectio DDD Pharmacia)
  • November 30, 2012 – Central Council for Science and Higher Education gave a positive opinion to the application submitted by Central Commission for Degrees and Titles on conferring the Doctor of Health Sciences Degree to the Faculty of Nursing and Health Sciences of the Medical University of Lublin

Calendar

January 2017


Events

22.07.2016

The IFMSAIAN - fourth issue of the English-language magazine of students of the Medical University of Lublin


English Division Lublin of IFMSA-Poland presents the fourth edition of the English-written student magazine the IFMSAIAN issued by the students of English Division and Polish...
more
15.06.2016

The MUL Commencement Ceremony for students of the English Language Division


The MUL Commencement Ceremony for students of the II Faculty of Medicine with English Language Division was held on 9 June 2016...
more
Nasz serwis internetowy korzysta z plików cookie.
Służą one do zapamiętywania indywidualnych preferencji i ustawień użytkowników oraz w celach statystycznych. Każdy użytkownik ma możliwość samodzielnej zmiany ustawień dotyczących plików cookies w swojej przeglądarce internetowej.
Korzystając z serwisów Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Lublinie wyrażasz zgodę na używanie cookie, zgodnie z aktualnymi ustawieniami Twojej przeglądarki.